Tuesday, December 4, 2007

STAYING!!! 12/04/07

I know that you all were up pacing half the night wondering about transfer calls...oh wait...that was me. Just kidding! But we got the call... Both Sis. Hummel and I are staying in Elizabeth City! We called our top investigator this morning to tell her and she said, "Well of course you did. We all prayed for it last night!" All is she and her 5 kids and her fiance! So all in all we aren't done here yet! I was so excited about that, plus no one else in our district was transferred! I'm really excited to really start to settle into this great place!

Our district leader then told us about what was going on with the other sisters in the mission! I was TOTALLY STOKED to hear that Sis. Moldenhauer is training!!! What a lucky greenie! I am excited to hear about how rockin' that's going to be!!!

Enough about transfers... guess what?!?! I want you to think about what the greatest miracle/present for a missionary would be for Christmas..... Yeah, that's right...a baptism?! Or maybe 3?!!!!! I am probably not making any sense. So we started teaching a family last week, and set the three oldest children for baptism. We asked if they would be baptized on December 29, and they asked if they could be baptized on Christmas! We are still working out the logistics, but it's looking good. Sadly their parents are still overcoming some pretty crucial obstacles, so it might take a little longer. But they are so excited! I don't know if there was anything sweeter than to hear 3 young men and women (12,11,and 10) tell of how they felt as the prayed and asked God if the Book of Mormon was true! They were so sincere! This family is so prepared! I love this work! I love it because it is the Lord's work and I am merely an instrument in His hands!

As we have been working with this family, I have learned a lot. But the biggest lesson I learned, I would like to share with you all. I don't know if I have written about them at all before, but we met their mom at a gas station north of town. We stopped in to visit with a ward member who can't come to church that often because she is the manager there. As we were walking out, I saw a minivan pull up and a few kids pop out. I felt the prompting to give the mom a Together Forever pass along card, but we were running late for out next appointment and so I pushed it aside! But my wonderful companion then instead of walking to the car, went to another man and started talking to him. I figured that if she was talking to him, I should go give the woman a card. I gave it to her, we started talking and set up an appointment to meet with her. Now three weeks later, she and her whole family is working towards baptism and confirmation! What a disheartening feeling I had when I realized that I almost didn't even talk to her! I have now devoted myself to do better! We never know who is ready to accept the gospel, but God does. So as we listen to Him, He can lead us to where we need to go.

I would write about the other miracles, but that is the one I want to leave with you for this week. I know that this work is God's work! I know that as we strive to follow all of the commandments of God, we will be blessed. I know that my Savior loves me and each of my brothers and sisters! I know that He suffered, died and was resurrected so that each of us can eventually live with God again! That sacrifice is something I cannot even begin to comprehend, but my gratitude for it grows each time I strive to apply the Atonement into my life! I am so grateful for the scriptures! I am reading in the New Testament right now and I see my testimony growing daily! I am gaining a respect and love for Peter! I want to be a servant like Peter!

I am so excited to be a missionary at Christmas time!!!

I love you all and hope that this finds you well!

Love,
Sister Abbott

No comments: