Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Email from 10/2/07

Thank you for all of your letters this week. I wish I had time to respond to all individually, and if I finish this and do have time, you will find another letter in your mailbox.

First off-- The baptism was AMAZING!!!! There were so many people show up that we had to switch from the Relief Society Room to the Chapel!!!!! Talk about ward support! Kelsey was beautiful! I will be getting pics developed by next week and will definately send some. She is so amazing!!! I got to speak on the Holy Ghost. Not necessarily the best, but the Spirit was there.






From left to right:
Sis. Moldenhauer,
Kelsey Failes,
Sis. Abbott,
Sis. Bergren



After the baptism, the Hartmans and the Failes took us to lunch. It was very fun!!! Then we were back to work.

We have had soooo many miracles this week. I love it! We tracted into a woman who just graduated from JMU. She is great! Very intillectual and is looking forward to learning more. She came to the RS Broadcast and enjoyed it very much! Next, a little while ago we were street contacting at Food Lion (a local grocery store chain), and I talked to this woman for a long time. We discussed about the need for one religion for a long time and then she had to leave suddenly. I think I might have written about this before, but we tracted into her last monday and it was soooo exciting. She said that we must be sent from God because no one knocks on her door. She was touched and we were able to teach her on Saturday. Then she came to the Broadcast with us. We are going to be teaching her again tomorrow. I am so excited!! She is amazing! That is just two of the phenomenal stories from this week!!!!

I need to ask a favor of all of you. I know that for health reasons some people (*cough* Meg) can't do this, but everyone else should. Talk to your missionaries and offer to go on exchanges with them. Work with them until you can find a day that will work. Please please please do this. It will only take a couple hours and it makes the WORLD of difference!!! We need members to testify. The Lord needs you to testify!!!

Ok, so here is some exciting news... I set a goal to read the Book of Mormon from start to finish within my first two transfers (3 months). And guess what?! I finished it this morning. I want to share something very special with you all. As I read the final verses, I knew that I needed to take Moroni's challenge (Moroni 10: 3-5-- pg 529). I went into the back bedroom of the apartment so that I could be alone and I prayed. I will not share the exact experience, but I will say that it was choice. I will never forget this morning as long as I live. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I knew it before, but I am filled with a renewed testimony of it's fullness. I know that so many amazing men and women sacrificed their lives to preserve this record. I know that the Lord allowed the record to be preserved so that we can read it. As I prayed I felt ashamed that I did not cherish the words before now. I knew they were true and accepted the doctrine as correct, but I now have a relationship with the Prophets of the Book of Mormon. They saw us. They saw me. And for that they sacrificed all that we had to share with us their testimony of the Savior! Pick up the Book of Mormon today! Pick it up and read it. And then pray to have the Spirit witness of the truthfullness again. God will always reveal truth no matter how many times we ask. He promises us that in Moroni. I know that this is the Savior's church and I am so excited to begin the New Testament now. God loves us so much that he has given us 3 testaments of the Savior. I love my Savior and I am grateful to be His servant! The work continues onward!! I love working here! I love it because I know that it is right.

Just a heads up...my companion Sister Bergren was supposed to be coming home on Dec. 6 this year, but her family just got the travel plans and she isn't going home until Jan. 16. I don't know what is going on, but it looks like I might be in the field an extra transfer. I am not sure how this will affect ASU stuff, but I am not worried. If ye are prepared ye shall not fear, right? I've prepared before I came on the mission and the Lord will provide. It might mess my scholarships up, but in that case, obviously the Lord needs me elsewhere or to go through something different that what I had planned. How exciting that the Lord has better plans for me than I have of myself?!

On a more funny note... Sis. Moldenhauer's sister sent her the funniest Green Eggs and Ham Book that has been mormonized!! It is great! I'm going to write it down and send it eventually. Sooooo funny and great to use in active member lessons. Harrisonburg rocks!!!!! I love it here! Fall is definately upon us. Only a few trees have turned so far, but I am soooooo excited to see the mountains covered in yellows and reds instead of the green!!!!! Yeeee Hawww!!!!!!!

Woot woot! Isn't the work amazing?! Keep me posted! I love you all!!!!!!!

Love, Sister Abbott

2 comments:

Rustino Scar said...

does katie get on here to check her site? or is not allowed to? just wondering...if so, HI KATIE!

Bowman Family said...

No, Katie can't check this site, but Jessie and I (Meg - Katie's sister) have access so we can forward any message you want to leave via email to Katie.

Jessie,
Fabulous job!!! I can't believe how great this is looking. I think you will probably keep this job even after I have recovered. Let me know if you need help at all!
Love ya!
Meg :-)

P.S. Happy Jalloween!!!!