Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Transfers next week!!!

There has been a lot happening this week. We had interviews with President Millburn! That was amazing! He spoke to us about application of the trainings and invited us to go through the notes we have taken throughout the mission and evaluate how well we are applying what we have been taught. That has been occupying the majority of my study lately. It is so interesting to see those things that I have applied and how that has blessed those I've worked with. Also to see the things that I applied for a period of time, but have stopped doing. And those things that I for one reason or another never applied. It is definately humbling to realize that there is still so much that I need to do to become the missionary that Christ needs me to be. But I am grateful for the tools that we have been given through trainings to be able to become who He needs!

Transfers are coming next week, and I really don't know what is going to happen. Sis. Ewing and I have been together for 3 months now and I have been in Salem for 4 1/2 months. So really, either of us could go or stay. I personally don't think we'll stay together...don't know why, that's just what I think. And I have no clue where I'll be. But between the 4 missionaries in the Salem ward, I think that 2 of us will be transfered. We have had minimal changes in our district the last 2 transfers, so maybe I'm just thinking it's time to shake things up. Part of me thinks taht when I get home, I will get tired with life the way it is and pray for transfers! :)

Some really cool things happened this week!!! Our Zone Leaders committed us to vocalize every spiritual prompting and follow it. That has yeilded some pretty sweet results!! Last week, as we were pulling out of the church parking lot from being dropped off after an exchange, I saw a box of Schwann's ice cream bars on the street. I had the thought to pull over and pick it up. I wondered if this was a selfish desire or a prompting, but I pulled back into the church and ran out into the street and got it. I gave Sis. Ewing the box and asked her to look for a number on the box so we could call and let them know that we found it. Just then, we saw the Schwann's man coming back. We flagged him down and gave it back to him. He was so grateful and committed to calling for a copy of the Book of Mormon.

Then just a couple days ago, we were driving to our dinner appointment and I saw a young woman pushing a stroller along a pretty major road. I felt like we needed to talk to her. So after driving another mile we found a spot to turn around. We passed them, pulled onto a side street and briskly walked to catch up with them. We spoke for a little while and set a return appointment with her and her mom. It was awesome! And then when we got back to our car, there was a man outside working on his lawn and we talked to him. We are going back tonight for that return appointment! The miracles of the Lord are everywhere!!!

This morning in my study, I wanted to mix it up and I felt like reading Moroni 10!! It was awesome! All of the sudden I realized that this is Moroni's departing testimony! Anyway, I was reading Moroni 10:22 "If ye have no hope ye must needs be in despair; and despair cometh because of iniquity." I had a great realization that no matter what is going on in our lives, we need to have hope. If we have no hope, what is the iniquity that we need to repent of? And what do we need to do to strengthen our faith? As Sister Hummel once said, "Hope is the goal." I think I understand that better now. Our goal is to be so full of faith that no matter what happens in our lives that we will have hope. That is my goal.

And just to fill those of you in on my decision about when I'm coming home...I'm planning on December. So that means that I'll be home 3 months from today! How crazy is that?! Ahhh...I've gotta get back to work!!!

Something kind of fun is that today we are having a sister's P-day. Sister Nugent and I talked about doing it at the last Zone Conference. And last week I got clearance from the APs to do it! So today Sis. Ewing and I will be heading over to the Denbigh chapel to hang out with about half the sisters in the mission. The only down side is that Sis. Moss and Sis. Sowards got called to a meeting in Richmond, so they won't be there.

Anyway, I'm doing well! I'll update you on transfers next week! Woo Hoo!!! I love it!
I love this work! I love being a missionary! There is truly no greater call! I am so grateful for the Lord and the time He has given me to be His hands and bless His children!!

Love,
Sister Abbott

No comments: